Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever before have many brand-new strategies and scientific breakthroughs emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers countless people the chance to decrease or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and pain-free way to remedy vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Before you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will be pleased with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting recommendations from other doctors or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be deceived by fancy advertisements about a particular laser center. Choose the physician, not the laser center. Discover who will really do your treatment, then inquire about that medical professional's qualifications (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Pick a doctor who has actually done at least 5,000 important source LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a doctor does not understand can injure you.
Ask for info on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your physician won't inform you, discover another one.
Ask what steps are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is completely disinfected, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized prior to your eye laser surgery to get rid of the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgical treatment is as good as a discount parachute. The possible cost savings are unworthy the risk of receiving less than expert care!
7. Anticipate to see effectively after LASIK, however don't anticipate to see completely. Each patient gets a somewhat various outcome. The very best cosmetic surgeon in the world can't ensure 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Beware of any doctor who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you probably are. You're not buying a car; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably provide much better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the advantages: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the vision of countless people around the world.